Forensic Accounting & Litigation Support
Forensic accounting is the use of intelligence gathering techniques and accounting/ business skills to develop information and opinions for use by attorneys involved in civil litigation and to give trial testimony if called upon.
Our services in this area include:
- Economic loss calculation
- Hidden assets discovery
- Identification of financial statement misrepresentations
- Lease Auditing
- In most commercial leases, tenants are required to pay for their fair share of building operating expenses, taxes and utilities. These obligations are rooted in lease language that is often complex and therefore difficult to administer.
- Lease auditing is the process of analyzing these charges to ensure that they are consistent with the lease. Although most tenants perform some level of analysis of their bills before they pay them, lease auditing is more rigorous: it is a very intensive analysis of these charges, and includes an investigation as to underlying intent, scrutiny of lease wording, a comparison of costs to market rates, and a physical review of the landlord’s books and records. Lease auditing also involves the presentation of claims to the landlord and recovery of overpayments.
- Our professional staff have an intensive knowledge of complex lease issues. Our commercial lease expertise and sophisticated approach enable us to identify the more complex claims, which ensure the tightest compliance with lease agreements.
- Both our clients and their landlords respect us for our ability to resolve our clients’ rent overcharges quickly and amicably. Our professional approach is based on ensuring that our claims are reasonable, supportable, fully-documented and presented in a non-adversarial manner.
- Contractual compliance assessment
In today’s legal environment, attorneys often find it beneficial to rely upon specialized accounting and financial analysis support in litigation matters. Analysis of complex financial and economic issues may require compiling and analyzing large amounts of accounting, financial, statistical, and economic information which then must be summarized and presented in a clear and convincing manner.
Our experience in identifying relevant financial issues and presenting conclusions through meaningful reports, visual aids and effective expert testimony allows us to properly educate/advise counsel, client and the trier of fact. Our litigation support experience has given us insight into what attorneys expect from a CPA in preparation for trial and in court.
Some areas in which we are called upon to provide services include:
- Marital dissolution
- Business valuations
- Partner and shareholder disputes
- Business interruption, damage and loss of earnings matters
- Civil and criminal income tax cases
- Unfair competition
Because of our many years of experience, we understand the financial issues involved in litigation, and are ready to assist you and/or your clients with these issues in complete confidentiality, engaged as either consultants in a case, or as experts whose work is intended to inform the court.
“In an emergency, they (HCL) are like firemen and they get right on it. Larry is very thorough and he has a good sense of where the skeletons are being kept. He is able to ferret out anything suspicious while being very personable.”Carlton Marcyan